Office 365 Groups is a service created by Microsoft with collaboration in mind. Office 365 Groups are a shared workspace for email, conversations, files, and events where group members can communicate and collaborate. Owners of a group can invite other users to join the group, and then share documents, conversations, meeting notes, calendars, and OneNote information related to that specific group. It works with the Office 365 tools you use already so you can collaborate with your teammates when writing documents, creating spreadsheets, working on project plans, scheduling meetings, or sending email.
With an Office 365 Group you receive:
- Shared Inbox – For email conversations between your members. This inbox has an email address and can receive messages from people outside the group and even outside your organization, similar to distribution list
- Shared Calendar – For scheduling events related to the group
- OneDrive Document Library – A central location for the group to store and share files
- Shared OneNote Notebook – For gathering ideas, research, and information
- Planner - For assigning and managing project tasks
Office 365 Groups can be requested by submitting a support ticket to Technology Support at https://support.salisbury.edu/user and choose Request Office 365 Groups (SU Students) from the Report a Problem section.
- The name of the Group that you would like created. Please Note that all Office 365 Groups will be prefixed with “grp365-” by default.
- Who will be the owner for the Group. If not specified, it will be assumed as the one submitting the request.
How do I add an Office 365 Groups calendar to my Outlook calendar?
The Group appears in the Mail section of Outlook (Outlook 2016 only). If you click on a group's Calendar button, the Group calendar opens in a new window. However, if you want the Group calendar to show up in your Calendar Navigation pane, you need to add the group to Favorites (right click on the group and then choose 'Add to Favorites'). Once you do this, the group Calendar will show on the Calendar Navigation pane at the bottom of the My Calendars group.
A Group can be deleted by its owner or by the SU IT department when it is no longer needed. Please follow these instructions to delete an Office 365 group: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Delete-a-group-ca7f5a9e-ae4f-4cbe-a4bc-89c469d1726f.
When you delete a group, you are permanently removing the group team site, group conversations, email messages, files, calendar events, and any other related information.
Want more Information?
- More information about Microsoft Office 365 Groups is available from Microsoft.
- Learn about Office 365 Groups: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Learn-about-Office-365-groups-b565caa1-5c40-40ef-9915-60fdb2d97fa2?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
- Guest access in Office 365 Groups: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Guest-access-in-Office-365-Groups-bfc7a840-868f-4fd6-a390-f347bf51aff6
- Compare Office 365 Groups on all platforms: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Compare-Office-365-Groups-on-all-platforms-3b4c6542-56cb-49d9-9445-31aa7d82aace?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
There is no content with the specified labels